The Islamic Republic of Iran, established in 1979 by the Ayatollah Khomeini, has never been a benign presence among the worldwide community of nations.
- From inception, it has made no secret of its hatred for Israel, and its intention to terminate the “Zionist entity.”
- It has funded, trained and provided weaponry to Hezbollah in Lebanon (both to harass Israel and to create a Shi’ite powerhouse in Lebanon) and to Hamas in Gaza (a Sunni Muslim terrorist group embracing the mutual goal of Israel’s destruction).
- It has sought nuclear weapons technology, buying help secretly from Abdul Qadeer Khan, the “father of Pakistan’s atomic bomb” in 1989 and subsequent years.
- It provided diplomatic cover for the 9/11 terrorists to mask their travel to and from al-Qaeda bases in Afghanistan to help ensure the success of bin Laden’s plans against America.
- It rushed to the support of Bashar al-Assad in Syria against the rise of rebel forces in 2011, and has used the opportunity not only to provide military intelligence and weaponry, but also to establish its own bases in Syria with an eye to threatening Israel more directly.
- Since Barack Obama’s pull-out of US forces from Iraq, Iran has cemented its ties with fellow-Shi’ite political and militia leaders in Iraq, seeking to bring the war-bruised and sectarian-ravaged country into its orbit as a puppet state.
- On an almost daily basis, Iranian navy fast attack boats harass US naval vessels sailing in international waters in the Persian Gulf, seeking to enforce their claim that no non-Iranian military presence will be tolerated in the Gulf. Just yesterday, the British destroyer HMS Dragon experienced this same harassment before the Iranian attack boats finally backed off.
- Since the most recent Yemeni civil war commenced in 2015, Iran has supported the Houthi rebels in their effort to overthrow the government. Sending in military trainers, upgrading their weapons, providing them financial support, Iran’s hope is to create greater instability for their great regional enemy, Saudi Arabia, and ultimately to establish their own permanent presence in Yemen to further threaten the Saudis and Israel by surrounding them both with a “Shi’ite crescent” from Lebanon through Syria and Iraq and around the Gulf region ending in Yemen, on the western tip of the Arabian Peninsula.
- Meanwhile, in its quotidian media releases, Iran continues it bellicose threats to America, the “Great Satan,” and to Israel, the “Little Satan,” as well as to Saudi Arabia, the Emirates, and whomever else it feels stands in its way.
Why all this peddling of violence to extend its influence? What is Iran’s ultimate goal? And why has the West generally ignored Iran’s role as a destabilizing threat in the Middle East and South Asia? What made the Obama administration think that offering a carrot rather than a stick would cause Iran to become our best friend, or at least to eschew terror and war against others?
One look at the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran is enough to expose the illusion that the mullahs and government functionaries are looking for peace and cooperation with others. In the preface to the Constitution, we find a paragraph heading: An Ideological Army. Here’s what it says:
In establishing and equipping the defense forces of the country, the focus shall be on maintaining ideology and faith as the foundation and the measure. Consequently, the Army of the Islamic Republic and the Islamic Pasdaran [Farsi for “Guards”] Revolutionary Corps are formed in accordance with the aforementioned objective. They will undertake the responsibility of not only guarding and protecting the borders, but also the weight of ideological mission, i.e. striving ( jehād) [sic] on the path of God and struggle on the path of expanding the sovereignty of the law of God in the world; in accordance with the Qur’anic verse: “Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies” (8: 60).
In other words, the Iranian armed forces and the paramilitary force know in the West at the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) have the twofold mission of protecting the country from attack, and of bearing “the weight of the ideological mission,” which is the extension of Islam to the whole world, bringing every land under the “sovereignty” of Shari’a law. That they are deadly serious about this is seen in the fact that the Qur’an is quoted. It is their sworn religious duty to amass as much strength as they can muster in order to “strike terror” into the enemies of Allah (which of course will also be their enemies). And who are the enemies of Allah? All who refuse to bow to Islam — Shi’ite Islam, in this case. Death to America! Death to Israel! Death to Western Europe! Death to Canada! Death to Brazil! Death to South Africa! Death to Russia! Death to India! Death to Korea! Death to China! Death to Australia! If I didn’t name your country, don’t despair — there is more than enough death to go around; you’ll be on the list soon enough.
It is for good reason that the US State Department first designated Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism on Jan. 19, 1984. It’s not as if Iran was trying to hide this fact — it is part and parcel of their nationalistic Islamic identity. The big question for the United States and indeed all the nations of the free world is: Why for almost forty years have we put up with an Islamic government committed to sowing terror in the world so as to extend the hegemony of repressive, anti-Western Shari’a law over more of the world’s population?
Where is the will of the free world to isolate this cancerous regime, to refuse all consular relations, to expel them as a pariah nation from the UN, to freeze all their assets and impose total trade embargos? At this point, with Iran’s economy in free fall, and with its population engaged in massive protests against the regime, it wouldn’t take much for the government to implode, and to be replaced by secular rule. That is what the vast majority of Iranians long for. It’s what they deserve. They, too, have been victims of the iron fist of the armies of the mullahs striking terror into their hearts to keep them in line.
Who will speak a word of sanity to the leaders of the free world so as to bring about the downfall of an evil government and the fresh air of freedom to a people long repressed? Forty years of malevolence and savagery is enough. Who will stand for the people of Iran? Who will stand for common decency? Who will stand against Islamic jihad and the imposition of Shari’a?
Many of us are waiting for political leaders worth their salt. It’s time to step forward!